Up on the Mountain… Craft Ideas for The Transfiguration of Christ. The Transfiguration of Jesus features a lot of interesting (and quite craft-able) elements. The story involves a mountain, shining light, clouds, prophets, tents, a loud voice, and more! These crafts remind us of the event and its significance. A Transfiguration diorama re-creates the scene with a 3-dimensional variety of materials. A “Shining Son Plate” highlights the nature of Jesus shining with God’s glory, creating a fun sparkling decoration to recall and celebrate the light of Christ.
Use these Bible craft ideas in your Sunday School, kids church, or even for a homeschool family devotion Bible study. These crafts on the transformation of Jesus are based on Luke 6:27-38 but this passage is also found in Matthew 17:1-9 & Mark 9:2-9.
More Bible Teaching Ideas for Kids
- See the teaching demonstration of this children’s sermon and Transfiguration Bible craft ideas
- Download our free Transfiguration of Jesus Sunday School Lesson on Luke 9:28-36
- Compare another Children’s Sermon on the Transfiguration of Jesus
- Compare several free PDF Sunday School Lesson Plans on the Transfiguration of Jesus from Matthew 17:1-9 & Mark 9:2-9
- Read more about the meaning of the Transfiguration on MinistryAnswers.com
Craft one: “Transfiguration Scene Diorama”
You will need:
- Glitter or sequins (optional)
- Construction paper, cardstock or cardboard
- Paper Plates
- Markers or decorating materials
- Glue or tape
- Cotton balls
- Coffee filters or cups (optional)
- Choose the base for your picture (shoebox, cardboard, cardstock, plate, etc.).
- Decorate the base with verses and captions, and decide what Transfiguration features to include in the scene to illustrate the event.
- Glue or tape items like cotton ball clouds, glitter “shine”, a cross, or paper “tents.”
- Add a “mountain” feature and characters (disciples/Jesus/Moses and Elijah) if desired. Attach a string or pipe cleaner if hanging, or merely display as a fun representation of the Transfiguration.
Craft Two: “Shining Son Plate”
You will need:
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Glue and/or tape
- Decorative materials (markers, crayons, stickers)
- String, pipe cleaner, etc. (optional)
- Paper plate
- Glitter (optional)
1. Decorate the plate with markers and crayons, adding verses and captions.
2. Add decorations such as stickers and glitter or sequins.
3. Cut triangles out of construction paper, or use long streamers to represent the shining rays of a son. Attach to the plate with glue or tape.
4. Adorn with extra flair as preferred. Attach a string or pipe cleaner to hang the “shining” plate as a reminder of the light of Christ.
Bible Verses or Sunday School Craft Captions to Consider…
(Main Text: Luke 9:28-36)
And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became dazzling white. -Luke 9:29
As he was saying these things, a cloud came and overshadowed them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. 35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!” -Luke 9:34-35
Transformed by the SON…Shine His light!
The Transfiguration…it was in the clouds and “in tents”!
Jesus was transformed and so am I!