This week’s Gospel reading (Sunday December 22, 2019) is from Matthew 1 verses 18-25. In this classic Christmas passage, an angel appears to Joseph explaining the miraculous pregnancy of his soon to be wife, Mary. These Sunday School Lessons and learning activities will help you explain the meaning of this scripture.
Sunday School Lessons (Matthew 1:18-25) Joseph Accepts Jesus
This Matthew 1:18-25 lesson plan originally appeared on Ministry-To-Children. We’ve included several bonus coloring pages to help you prepare for your class.
- Christmas Children’s Message on the Birth of Jesus
- Download another Sunday School Lesson on Jesus Birth
- Don’t miss over 30 free Christmas Sunday School lessons from Ministry-To-Children
- Compare the children’s message on Matthew 1:18-25 from rfour.org
- Compare An Angel appears to Joseph children’s sermon from Sermons 4 Kids
- Don’t miss our Christmas Sunday School lessons and Advent coloring pages
Activities for Sunday School based on Matthew 1:18-25
- Jesus family tree activities
- The Catholic toolbox lists several Matthew 1:18-25 Sunday School Activities
- Read this Devotional from Matthew 1 as a personal Bible study before you teach
- Get more ideas from this PDF lesson plan from Crossraods Kids Club.
- If you are able, consider showing one of these Story of Christmas Video clips.
- Download a 15 page mini-books that share the story of Christmas for kids. This is ideal for for younger elementary or preschool Sunday School lessons about the birth of Jesus.
- See more Christmas Coloring Pages from Ministry-To-Children
Mandy came up with a take on a “nesting doll” nativity craft idea. The pages could be used as puzzle pieces or as a progression to discuss Christmas with little ones. Click on the preview image above to download the PDF There are four sheets included in the printable PDF file: Joseph, Mary, Wise Men, Emmanuel […]
Use this printable nativity scene to create a manger play set for younger children. You could create a foam core backing or simply cut and paste. Click on the image to the right to download the file as a print friendly PDF document. We’ve also uploaded the jpg image for advanced users to edit. If […]
Sunday School Coloring Page (Joseph and Mary)
Liturgical Reference for December 22, 2019
Matthew 1:18-25 NIV
Joseph Accepts Jesus as His Son
18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”
22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.
Matthew 1:18-25 NIV on Bible Gateway