This week’s Gospel reading (Sunday December 29, 2019) is from Matthew 2 verses 13-23 where the Holy Family must escape from the murderous Herod and his intentions to kill the infant Jesus. We’ve collected these Sunday School Lessons and learning activities to help you teach your class this weekend.
Sunday School Lessons (Matthew 2:13-23) Holy Family Flight to Egypt
This Matthew 2:13-23 children’s message originally appeared on Ministry-To-Children.
- Don’t miss all our sermons for kids and the video example of this message
- Compare our full length Mary & Joseph Sunday School lesson
- Find more Sunday School Lessons on Sunday School Works
- Compare the Matthew 2:13-23 Children’s Sermon on rfour.org
- Don’t miss our Christmas Sunday School lessons and Advent coloring pages
Activities for Sunday School based on Matthew 2:13-23
- The Catholic toolbox lists several Matthew 2:13-23 Sunday School Activities
- Get more activities from the Herod the Grinch lesson on Sermons 4 Kids
- If you are able, consider showing one of these Story of Christmas Video clips.
- Download a 15 page mini-books that share the story of Christmas for kids. This is ideal for for younger elementary or preschool Sunday School lessons about the birth of Jesus.
- See more Christmas Coloring Pages from Ministry-To-Children
Mandy came up with a take on a “nesting doll” nativity craft idea. The pages could be used as puzzle pieces or as a progression to discuss Christmas with little ones. Click on the preview image above to download the PDF There are four sheets included in the printable PDF file: Joseph, Mary, Wise Men, Emmanuel […]
Use this printable nativity scene to create a manger play set for younger children. You could create a foam core backing or simply cut and paste. Click on the image to the right to download the file as a print friendly PDF document. We’ve also uploaded the jpg image for advanced users to edit. If […]
Liturgical Reference for December 29, 2019
Matthew 2:13-23 (NIV) The Escape to Egypt
13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”
14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, 15 where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.”
16 When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi. 17 Then what was said through the prophet Jeremiah was fulfilled:
18 “A voice is heard in Ramah,
weeping and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children
and refusing to be comforted,
because they are no more.”
19 After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt 20 and said, “Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child’s life are dead.”
21 So he got up, took the child and his mother and went to the land of Israel. 22 But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee, 23 and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets, that he would be called a Nazarene.
Matthew 2:13-23 NIV on Bible Gateway
Coloring Page: Flight to Egypt
King Herod Verses King Jesus Coloring Page
Further Bible Study on Matthew 2
Learn the background information on Matthew 2 and the Flight to Egypt a key early event in the Life of Jesus. Don’t miss this devotional on Matthew 2 and Jesus’ flight to Egypt.