Heavenly Help…Look Up! Craft Ideas for Psalm 121
Where can we go for help? Assistance might come from a variety of sources, depending what we require help with. However, our earthly supports can disappoint. We have another source of aid that will always provide for us and never let us down…we lift our eyes to the maker of Heaven and Earth, the Lord our God, who never slumbers or sleeps! These precious promises from Psalm 121 are the inspiration behind these crafts, which remind children of the hope we have in God’s presence and love. A special prayer journal celebrates God’s care for us, and a “God does not slumber” door hanger recalls who protects us so we can rest.
Craft one: “Lift Your Eyes” Prayer Journal
You will need:
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Lined paper
- Markers or decorating materials
- String, yarn, or ribbon (Optional)
- Arrange lined paper into a stack, cutting if needed for size.
- Place construction paper or cardstock around the outside of the lined paper, either surrounding with a fold as one large piece, or placing on both sides of the stack.
- Staple the stack to create a booklet.
- Decorate the outside of the booklet with labels, verses, stickers, or other adornments.
- If desired, add a string or ribbon to finish off. Use as a prayer journal or verse collection.
Craft Two: “God Does Not Slumber” Door Hanger
You will need:
- Paper, cardboard, or cardstock
- Google eyes (optional)
- String or pipe cleaner
- Glue and/or tape
- Decorative materials (markers, crayons, stickers)
1. Cut cardstock or paper into a long rectangle, gluing multiple pieces together as needed. Cut a hole in the top of the rectangle to accommodate fitting over a doorknob.
2. Decorate the cardstock or paper with verses and captions. Add stickers if desired.
3. For extra design, glue google eyes onto the door hanger.
4. Attach a string or ribbon as desired. Use the door hanger to remember that God watches over us at all times, and does not need to rest!
Bible Verses or Craft Captions to Consider… (Psalm 121)
Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep. -Psalm 121:4
I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth. -Psalm 121:1-2
The Lord will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time forth and forevermore. -Psalm 121:8
I am sleeping…but God isn’t! He is watching over me.
God does not slumber or sleep…rest in Him!
I lift my eyes to God…He always helps me!
Trust in the Lord!