Choose Life! Craft Ideas for Deuteronomy 30
What choices shape our daily lives? There are many things that impact who we are, but the most important thing we can choose is accepting God’s grace. We have the option of life or death! These crafts celebrate Deuteronomy 30 and how it reminds us to love and obey God. A “Choose Life Spinner Game” encourages students to identify ways to live for the Lord. A “Shake Up God’s Love Box” acts as a Bible verse memory aid and decorative centerpiece. Get creative, choose a craft, and choose life!
Craft one: “Choose Life Spinner Game”
You will need:
- Paper plate
- Markers and/or crayons
- Construction paper or cardstock
- Brad fasteners
- String or pipe cleaner, for hanging
- Extra decorations as desired
- Divide the paper plate into a few sections. On each segment, write a description of ways that we can love, serve, and obey God.
- Add to the plate captions and verse references. Add extra decorations (stickers, etc.) as desired.
- Cut an arrow shape out of paper or cardstock, and place it in the center of the plate, securing with a brad fastener.
- Place a string or pipe cleaner if desired to hang, and use the spinner arrow as a game of sorts, naming methods that can be used to listen to God and obey His word.
Craft Two: “God’s Love Box”
You will need:
- Construction paper or card stock
- Decorations (stickers, glitter, etc.)
- Plastic bags
- Tape or glue
- Pipe cleaners (if desired)
- Small container (empty tissue box, coffee or oatmeal container, cup or cardboard box, etc.)
1. Decorate container as desired, using “curly” pipe cleaners or string, stickers, glitter, and more.
2. Add verses and/or captions.
3. Cut out hearts (or other shapes) from construction paper, cardstock, cardboard, or wrapping paper. Write additional verses or captions on these.
4. Glue or tape the hearts around the outside of the container.
5. If you wish to use the container for verse memorization, write a verse or phrase on paper, and cut into strips. Place within the box, shake the components around, and put together again as a complete verse. Alternatively, place reminders or individual verses within the container. Use as a memory tool or table decoration!
Verses or Captions to Consider… (Deuteronomy 30:15-20)
Jesus is love! Choose God’s love!
Hold fast to God’s love.
Obey God’s voice! Choose His love!
Love the Lord!
Love other people!
Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, 20 loving the Lord your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days… -Deuteronomy 30:19-20
If you obey the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you today, by loving the Lord your God, by walking in his ways, and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his rules, then you shall live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take possession of it. -Deuteronomy 30:16