Scripture memorization can be easy, especially when you start with good short Bible verses that give you an instant boost of inspiration and faith. Read over and print our collection, then pick your top 5 Bible verses to get started today. Our list below uses the ESV Bible unless otherwise notes. See even more Bible verses for kids from Ministry-To-Children.
5 Shortest verses in the Bible
1. Jesus wept. John 11:35
2. Remember Lot’s wife! Luke 17:32
3. Rejoice always. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
4. Pray continually. 1 Thessalonians 5:17
5. You shall not murder. Exodus 20:13
6. “Thou shalt not steal. ” Exodus 20:15
Using Short Bible Verses to Encourage Others
Sharing God’s love with others can be as simple as texting a short verse to encourage them with Scripture. The Bible contains many inspirational and challenging shorter verses that are great for memorization or sharing on social media. Meditating on these short bible verses will embed God’s word and patterns of thought into your own mind.
10 Best Short Bible Verses for Kids
- Psalm 145:9 -The LORD is good to all.
- Proverbs 14:5 – A honest witness does not lie, a false witness breaths lies
- Numbers 6:24 – The Lord bless you and keep you
- Colossians 3:2 – Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
- Romans 3:23 – All people have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
- Matthew 5:14 – You are the light of the world.
- Psalm 145:9 – The Lord is good to all.
- Colossians 3:20 – Children, obey your parents in all things.
- James 1:17 – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above.
- Matthew 28:20 – I am with you always.
Simple Bible Verses to Start Your Day
- Matthew 28:6 – He is not here, he is risen!
- Romans 3:23 – for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
- Acts 5:29 – We must obey God rather than men.
- Psalm 46:10 – Be still, and know that I am God.
- Ecclesiastes 12:13 – Fear God and keep his commandments.
- Galatians 6:7 – Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.
- Matthew 6:33 – But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
- “Matthew 19:26 “”But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Bible Verses about Faith
- Psalm 37:5 – Commit your way to the LORD; trust in Him, and He will do it.
- Proverbs 3:5 – Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;
- Proverbs 3:5 KJV – Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
- Psalm 34:4 – I sought the LORD, and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
- Isaiah 26:4 – Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
- Psalm 56:3 – When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
- Romans 12:6 – We have different gifts according to the grace given us. If one’s gift is prophecy, let him use it in proportion to his faith;
Short Bible Verses about Trust in God
- Proverbs 3:5 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
- Psalm 56:3 – What time I am afraid, I will trust in You.
- Romans 10:13 – Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Scripture Quotes about the Bible, God’s Word
- Proverbs 30:5 – Every word of God proves true.
- Proverbs 2:6 – The Lord gives wisdom.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 – All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
- Psalm 119:105 – Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path..
- Psalm 119:105 KJV Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Short Bible Verses on Jesus Christ
- Acts 16:31 – Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved.
- Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly
- Hebrews 13:8 – Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
- John 11:35 – Jesus wept. (the shortest verse in the Bible)
- Ephesians 4:32 – Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
- Luke 11:27 – As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!”
- Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Short Inspiring Bible Verses
Genesis 16:13 – You are the God who sees.
Philippians 4:4 – Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Philippians 4:13 – I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.
Psalm 150:6 – Let everything that has breath praise the LORD!
Jeremiah 10:12 – It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.
Short Bible Verses about Revenge and the Peace God Brings
“And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.”
– Do not say, “I will repay evil”; wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.
Proverbs 17:13 KJV
– Whoso rewardeth evil for good, evil shall not depart from his house.
Proverbs 24:29 –
Say not, I will do so to him as he hath done to me: I will render to the man according to his work.
“Neither shalt thou steal.”
Proverbs 12:10 KJV
A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
Bible Verses about Love
- 1 John 5:3 – This is love for God: to obey his commands.
- 1 John 3:23 – Love one another.
- Proverbs 10:12 – Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.
- Psalm 136:1 – Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.
- 1 John 4:19 – We love because he first loved us.
- Deuteronomy 6:5 – You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose
- Psalm 94:18–19 When I thought, “My foot slips,” Your steadfast love, O LORD, helped me up. When the cares of my heart are many, Your consolations cheer my soul.
Inspiring Bible Verses about Loving Others
- Matthew 22:39 – You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
- Proverbs 10:12 KJV – Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers all transgressions.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 – Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
- 2 Timothy 1:7 – For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline
How to Memorize Bible Verses
First, choose the Bible translation that you most enjoy. Some people only memorize bible verses in the King James Version – KJV. Others prefer the English Standard Version (ESV) or New International Version of the Bible (NIV). If you’re not sure, check out a website like Bible Hub to compare scripture quotes in various transitions side-by-side.
Second, make memorizing your short bible verses a part of your daily routine. Print this list and post it in your bathroom mirror to review while brushing your teeth. Better yet, make Bible flash cards to review with during the day.
Scripture memorization is most effective when done in multiple ways. So write it, then recite it, then read it, then text it to a friend, and then write it out again! God bless you as your seek the Lord and his strength.